Friday, March 18, 2011

I'm still here

I have been going through the typical Amsterdam housing market bullshit again. Evidently if you don't have a Dutch last name, they discriminate you and don't even bother to reply to you or tell you that the property has already been rented out, even though they continue to show it on their webpage. Jacobus Recourt, the discriminator, and Van De Steege, the one that says that the property has already been rented out, have been a complete pain in the ass to deal with. But this is an Amsterdam housing market that out of the four apartments that I have lived in (not including the current one, which is the fifth), I have not gotten my deposit back three times. The first, Smart Vastgoed, turned out to be a front for a cocaine ring. The second one, Rietveld, was the absolute best and a joy to deal with. The third, Rotsvast, is the largest rental agency in Holland and it is surprising to me that they are even still in business or allowed to operate. My girlfriend at the time decided not to go after them for the deposit and since it was not in my name, I didn't have much choice. The owners of the apartment said that we left it in excellent shape but Rotsvast lied to them and stuck them for money also. The previous apartment to this one, I was also not given my deposit back either as they said (I can't remember the name of the agency at the moment. Memory block of a bad experience?) that I did not notify them in time that I was vacating, which I most assuredly did. The agent's name was Mirjam, and she was a big time liar. I had loads of problems with a noisy neighbor over me and when it came time to renew the lease, Mirjam told me that he was moving out. Yeah, right. He is still living there to this day.

No comments: